The Malawi Trade and Investment Programme (MTIP) is a 5-year programme, funded by the Foreign Commonwealth Development Office (FCDO). The Value Chain (VC) component is one of three components in the MTIP programme, which aims to break Malawi’s cycle of low growth. Adam Smith International (ASI) has been contracted to deliver the VC component which will focus on the expansion of existing commercial/off-taker models in high-value export sectors, essentially bringing high potential industries to scale.
Our overall objective is to design and implement the VC component of MTIP with the goal to increase the performance of high-value export sectors in Malawi. The VC component will focus on the expansion of existing commercial/off-taker models in high-value export sectors, essentially bringing high potential industries to scale. Clusters of medium/large enterprises with high growth potential will be purposively targeted. Specific interventions will be innovative and disruptive; and will depend on an assessment of what is achievable within the political context, and what will have the greatest impact.
The Strategic Advisor – Policy and Enabling Environment works closely with the Policy and Enabling Environment Lead to design and ensure effective implementation of strategies and partnerships. This involves supporting on new initiative areas, as well as on reporting and business planning. This role will be central to ensuring initiatives attain business plan targets and sector objectives. The Strategic Advisor will contribute to the design of new initiatives and develop pilots to improve partners’ capacity towards systemic change. The Strategic Advisor will contribute to identifying, defining and managing Short Term Technical Experts activities, and relationships with public and private sector partners. The Strategic Advisor will contribute to programme documentation, including to the results framework, initiative plans, project management, reporting, and managing data sets.
The Strategic Advisor’s responsibilities will include:
- Guiding research of potential new initiatives or areas of engagement, in order to decide whether new sectors or initiative areas are viable and in line with the programme’s goals
- Support the development and execution of a policy environment reform strategy focused on the target export value-chains, with specific outcomes and milestones, which engages the most appropriate and effective business membership organizations and advocacy groups to achieve these objectives
- Modify the approach to reflect emerging opportunities and industry best practices which should result in commercial and impact gains
- Support implementation, including development of tools/templates, supporting relevant research, partnership agreements, and other technical documentation across MTIP’s key policy focus areas
- Establish and lead strong working relationships with relevant public sector entities, business leaders, and government policymakers, as well as with other development programmes
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 10 years of professional experience
- Significant experience engaging with governmental and public sector stakeholders in Malawi
- Experience in design and delivery of results-driven enabling environment programmes, preferably for FCDO or other development partners in Southern and/or East Africa
- Track record in business environment advocacy and capacity building for business associations to effectively advocate for policy reform
- Understanding of export oriented agricultural and other value chains
- Capacity and influence to convene stakeholders and shape national policy definition and implementation
- Demonstrated track record of effectively managing technical experts
- Demonstrated track record of effectively engaging with senior government and business leaders
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
This is a part time position, based in Lilongwe, offered under a consulting contract for up to 8 days per month. The contract will be renewed annually for up to five years depending on performance.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their CV and a short cover letter to MTIP.Recruitment@adamsmithinternational.com before June 15, 2023. Please include “Strategic Advisor – Policy and Enabling Environment” in your email subject line.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.