Vacancy type Long-term consultancy
Location Colombia, Mexico, Brazil
Service areas(s) Economic Development Team
About The Role
Adam Smith International’s Economic Development Team specialises in the design and delivery of innovative programmes focused on three core practice areas: Infrastructure and urban development, climate resilience and adaptation, and trade, investment and private sector development. We deliver impactful, results-driven programmes across Africa, South Asia, Asia Pacific, the Middle East and the Americas for clients including the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, European Commission, European Investment Bank and various other multilateral development banks and bilateral donors.
Over the past decade ASI’s Climate Change Practice has built a reputation for delivering high quality, high impact, innovative and transformational climate change programming. We aim to facilitate low-carbon, resilient growth and empower vulnerable communities to adapt to changing climate conditions. We have led a large number of mitigation and adaptation programmes globally for bilateral and multilateral development partners in the last 20 years.
ASI is looking for Senior Managers, Climate Change in Colombia, Mexico, Brazil. The selected candidates will be part of a global team serving ODA-eligible countries.
This is a full-time role to start in 2023 and potentially continue until 2027. Flexible arrangements can apply.
Programmatic sectors include:
- Climate policy
- Energy transition
- Sustainable mobility
- Nature-based solutions (NbS) including forests
- Green finance
- Just transition objectives
Key tasks and responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
Project and Grant Management
- Manage small, analytical as well as large, complex climate change programmes with oversight
- Ensure project outputs (reports, technical assistance, grants, workshops etc) are delivered as required by the project terms of reference and/or activity plans subsequently agreed
- Ensure high standards of delivery and accountability reflected in audits, financial management, annual reviews
- Conduct basic data collection, monitoring and verification for grants under implementation
- Ensure compliance of procedures and processes in line with FCDO and ASI requirements
Strategy, engagement and analysis
- Build and maintain strategic relationships and partnerships in-country
- Lead strategic planning and develop a roadmap for action for country activities
- Contribute to the wider programme strategy and make recommendations for improvement
- Analyse the market to identify opportunities for growth and expansion and ensure we capitalise on opportunities
- Write small, large and complex winning proposals with little assistance
- Support the Climate Change Team on the strategy and approaches to achieve success in ‘must win’ tenders
A Senior Manager – Climate Change should have the ability to build effective relationships with experts from a wide range of professional and cultural backgrounds, and to work effectively in politically sensitive and challenging environments. The candidate should relish working in a team, should be innovative, energetic, positive, and genuinely committed to making a lasting contribution to international development.
Adam Smith International seeks the following skills and experience:
- A graduate degree in social sciences, business administration, project management or other relevant fields;
- 7-15 years of relevant professional experience in management of programmes, grants, technical assistance;
- An excellent understanding of HMG values, principles and structures is desirable;
- Experience working on climate mitigation and/or development projects is an asset, and knowledge of Middle-Income Countries would be highly valued;
- Outstanding written English and oral communication skills;
- Knowledge of Spanish and/or Portuguese;
- Demonstrated experience of initiative, planning and organisation skills, results-focus and working in complex and time-pressured contexts;
- Excellent inter-personal skills and teamwork;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Willingness to travel to ODA-eligible countries.
What We Offer You
Our people are at the heart of our strategy and our decisions. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, a dynamic and friendly team environment, the opportunity to support a highly successful portfolio of programmes, and support to develop your skills and progress in your career.
The diversity of our workforce makes ASI a great place to work, more creative and resourceful, and underpins strong partnerships. We keep a sharp focus on diversity and inclusion, including through our Equality Action Plan and our Diversity and Inclusion Committee, and through leadership from our Executive Team and oversight by our Board.
We recognise the importance of your life outside of work. We are proud to support flexible working arrangements and commit to make a success of flexible working arrangements wherever possible. We’ve built a culture to reflect our values, full of likeminded professionals who are smart, passionate and great at what they do.
Heard Enough? Ready to apply?
Please submit a CV and a short cover letter with the subject line ‘Senior Manager – Climate Change (Latin America)’ to email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.