Project Case Study
Conducting a mid-term review of the Rwandan Education Sector Strategic Plan
The team reviewed and updated the 2003 Education Sector Policy and completed the mid-term review of the ESSP
In 2016, Adam Smith International (ASI) conducted a mid-term review of Rwanda’s Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP), funded by the UK’s Department for International Development.
The main objectives of the assignment were to review and update the 2003 Rwandan Education Sector Policy and facilitate and complete the mid-term review of the 2013-18 ESSP to ensure its alignment with other recently revised education sub-policies. This project also entailed developing the ESSP’s M&E framework by working closely with the Ministry of Education (MINEDUC) and its agencies, particularly the Rwanda Education Board, Work Force Development Agency and Higher Education Council, as well as districts satellites.
Some of our key activities and results
Education Sector Policy
- Revised the 2003 Education Sector Policy by taking into consideration the recently revised sub-sector policies, such as TVET policy; Early childhood policy; Special needs education policy; Teacher development and management policy; Language of instruction policy; Curriculum and assessment policy; and Learning and teaching materials policy.
Education Sector Strategic Plan
- Reviewed quantitative indicators and targets related to the Education Sector monitoring matrix for all the ten outcomes, checking that they are not overly or under-ambitious; reviewed targets in the ESSP to ensure they are realistic based on funding projections.
- Strengthened the set of indicators about quality and learning outcomes, and their targets.
- Ensured that the costs of the implementation plans were revised based on the scope of the reviewed plan. Facilitated the development of a multi-year action plans for the ministry and affiliated agencies.
- Ensured action plans from all MINEDUC implementing agencies are aligned.
- Included and noted the existing public / private sector engagement in education, their roles and how they complement each other.
- Developed and finalised a comprehensive M&E framework based on the revised ESSP.