Position : Pilots Monitoring Manager (Pilar Solar) – BEP
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Duration : February 2021 – July 2022
The Brazil Energy Programme (BEP) is financed by the UK’s Prosperity Fund, which is dedicated to supporting the adoption of technology and regulatory innovations that can help unlock potential in emerging economies and accelerate progress towards the UN Sustainable Development Goals. The BEP is one of four Prosperity Fund programmes implemented in Brazil. Adam Smith International is the Delivery Partner of the Energy Programme.
The Brazil Energy Programme (BEP) is a 34-month programme that will provide technical assistance and fund management to support the Brazilian government and the private sector to accelerate growth in renewable energy and clean energy technology. The BEP leverages Brazil’s and the UK’s regulatory and technological competencies to make both countries global leaders in clean energy technology and regulation. Using Brazil’s natural advantages and UK’s experience in regulating integrating non-hydropower renewable energy technologies, BEP aims to accelerate Brazil’s transition to renewable energy in a way that can enhance gender equity and social inclusion and make Brazil a global leader in renewable energy solutions for emerging economies.
To achieve this, BEP will:
- Help to strengthen regulation and market mechanisms to foster growth in solar, bioenergies, energy storage and offshore wind;
- Support regulatory agencies and ministries to use natural gas as a transition fuel to support the greater involvement of renewable intermittent energy sources in Brazil’s energy mix
- Demonstrate the potential of emerging technologies to increase renewable energy affordability for Brazil’s consumers, particularly those who are ‘energy-poor’ through technology demonstration pilots.
The BEP will fund nine pilots that introduce innovative technology to address challenges in Waste to Energy, biofuels and distributed energy generation. Pilots will be delivered by UK and international companies, as well as Brazilian partners, receiving grants from the BEP. Co-funding from the ‘1% levy’ for Research and Development in Brazil will be sought to enhance pilots and deliver research findings for the applicability of new technologies.
The first BEP pilot, the ‘Pilar Solar’ pilot, is co-funded by Light SA, the utility company for Rio de Janeiro state. The pilot will respond to the following ‘Challenge Statement’: How can a more advanced decentralised model (on or off grid) be created in Brazil that delivers energy access, affordability and alleviates poverty?
The pilot will introduce solar, smart grid and storage technologies into the Pilar community in Rio de Janeiro. The pilot involves the installation of PVs at Light’s substation, as well as PVs, batteries, home energy monitoring systems (HEMS) and smart meters in the homes of Pilar residents. The pilot will investigate the effect of various ToU tariffs, enabled by the PVs, batteries, HEMS and smart meters and within a regulatory sandbox. A tariff sandbox experiment will be conducted to consider different tariff regimes supported by secondary data analysis.
Scope of Work
The Pilots Monitoring Manager will work in close cooperation with the BEP Pilots team and the Monitoring, Reporting, Evaluation and Learning (MREL) team. S/he will monitor the delivery of the Pilar Solar pilot, implemented by UK and Brazilian organisations.
Specifically, the Pilots Monitoring Manager will:
- Monitor progress of the delivery of the Pilar Solar pilot by the pilot implementing partners. This will include conducting site visit to verify milestones have been achieved.
- Review technical and monitoring reports from implementers and assess pilot progress against the workplan ‘sprints’ and milestones
- Coordinate with implementers to solve operational problems as required
- Support the UK and Brazilian implementers to work closely together to deliver the project
- Working with the Operations and Finance Manager, monitor financial reporting and performance of grant recipients
- Identify and track pilot risks, escalating key risks and any changes in risk status to BEP leadership
- Follow processes and procedures from the BEP Grants Management Manual
- Produce reports on pilot progress for BEP and FCDO
Skills and Experience Required
- A Master’s degree or higher in a relevant field
- At least 5 years of experience in areas related to the pilot – solar and distributed energy generation.
- Analytical mindset, proven ability and strong track record in communicating information and conveying key messages to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Portuguese and English
Level of effort: 25 days per year
How to Apply
Please submit a CV (no more than 2 pages) and short cover letter with subject headline “Pilots Monitoring Manager (Pilar Solar) – BEP” to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shortlisted applicants only will be contacted.
Deadline for applications is 5th February, 2021.
Adam Smith International is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to consider all applicants regardless of colour, race, religion, national origin, sex, age, physical or mental disability.