Position: Somalia Country Finance Manager
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
I. Organisation Context
Adam Smith International (ASI) is a global advisory company that works locally to transform lives by making economies stronger, societies safer, and governments more effective. We work on behalf of governments, foundations and companies that share our ambition to take on the big challenges facing the world. They come to us to develop strategies and to design, deliver and evaluate programmes that, in turn, stimulate growth, stability and good governance.
For nearly three decades in almost 100 countries, we have been working in partnership with governments, the private sector and civil society in countries at all stages of development. Our core team of staff and technical experts, in multiple offices around the world, ensures the quality of delivery and high ethical standards that we and our clients require. We bring together a global network of specialist experts, who contribute their experience and know-how, where and when it is needed.
ASI is owned and operated by its employees. We are committed to corporate integrity and a triple bottom line of social, environmental and financial performance.
ASI Somalia (ASI-S) is registered under the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS), Ministry of Interior, Federal Affairs and Reconciliation (MOI). As part of its overall organizational structure and systems, the Somalia country office has redesigned its country financial management team, the basis on which the TOR for all country finance positions have been redefined to support and coordinate corporate and project activities effectively and efficiently, in order to deliver on the core country office objectives.
1. Somalia country platform budget management
- Overall responsibility over the Somalia Country Platform budget with oversight from the Country Manager and the Regional Finance Manager.
- Support the Country Manager and Project Managers in the implementation of corporate budgets, projects’ budget, and downstream field financial budgets.
- Ensure adequate training of staff and project personnel on policy requirements related to these budgets e.g. FCDO Compliance, EU Regulations and Compliance
2. Financial Management
- Serve as member of the country management team and provide advice and support to country management team.
- Overall country financial reporting responsibility to ASI Africa Team through the Regional Finance Manager, ASI Somalia Country Manager and or Project Managers including routine activities relating to the ERP system platform -Project Service Automation (PSA) and Financial Operations (FinOps).
- Participate in country financial review meetings including country procurement and assess the managerial and operational capacities of implementing partners in collaboration with the programme and technical team.
- Ensure a continous and up-to-date flow of financial information between the ASI headquarters, regional offices and country project offices including management of financial risks, cash flows, feeding back on internal audits, external audits as well as spot checks and expenses verification requirements by the donors and recipient government.
- Ensure adequate training of staff and project personnel on these policy requirements.
- Ensure efficient management of country office and programme financial resources.
- Ensure proper financial controls over expenditure
- Review internal checks and controls over cash and bank payments.
- Review established compliance requirements with Country Internal Controls Framework, Delegation of Authority and segregation of duties and responsibilities.
3. Manage Country/Projects’ Procurement
- Overall responsibility over the Somalia Country Procurement with oversight from the Country Manager and support from the Somalia Country Operations Manager.
- Responsibility over the Somalia Country procurement reporting including demonstration and documentation of value for money.
- Serve as a member of the country procurement management team and provide advice and support to the country managment team on procurement.
- Lead/coordinate country procurement committee, review meetings including due diligence compliance requirements and assessement of the managerial and operational capacities of implementing partners in collaboration witht he country operations, programme operations and technical team operations.
- Support the Country Manager in the implementation of the National Procurement Policies (NOPs) and project managers in the implementation of projects procurement policies and downstream partners, field financial budgets, procurement and ensure adequate training of staff and project personnel on these policies.
- Ensure a continous and up-to-date flow of procurement information between the ASI headquarters, regional offices and country project offices including management of relationships with suppliers, contractors, and service providers.
4. Manage country financial risks, compliance risks, internal control systems including statutory risks and regulations.
- Overall country financial management responsibility over risks, compliance with oversight from project managers, country managers and ASI Regional Finance Manager.
- Ensure a continous and up-to-date flow of financial risks, compliance information between the ASI headquarters, regional office, and country project offices.
- Responsibility over the country platform due diligence requirements.
- Ensure implementation of recommendations on internal and external reports and undertake remedial actions on audit findings.
5. People Management
- Manage staff in the Country Finane Team: Provide feedback on personnel development, training, and coaching.
- Respect for Diversity
- Credibility, Professionalism & Accountabilit
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative problem solving skills
- Effective communication
- Inclusive collaboration
- Stakeholder engagement
- Leading by example
- Strong knowledge of operationa, finance, human resources systems and processes, particularly FCDO/EU related;
- Ability to provide advice and develop solutions to varying problems to a multiple team of project managers;
- Ability to lead formulations monitoring of managment projects;
- Ability to lead a team and be a team player;
- Ability to handle confidential information;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Good negotiation skills
- Strong IT skills
IV. Requirement Qualifications
Education and certification
- Master’s degree (Business related) or compensating relevant work experience
- Qualified Chartered Accountant
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level, in projects and country office financial management, and operations.
- Experience in leading a team
- Working knowledge of Accounting systems such as Dynamics, Quickbooks, SAGE, etc
- Experience of living and working in a difficult environment – Somalia and/or Somaliland.
- Fluency in English is required
- Ability to provide highly summarized financial reports in English
This is full-time position ending in July 2022, with a possibility of extension.
Interested applicants should send their CV and cover letter to Recruitment.email@example.com no later than 04 December 2021. Please reference “Somalia Country Finance Manager” in the email subject line. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.