Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Position: Project Finance Officer
Background to Adam Smith International
Adam Smith International is a leading professional services business that delivers real impact, value and lasting change through projects supporting economic growth and government reform internationally. Our reputation as a global leader has been built on the positive results our projects have achieved in many of the world’s most challenging environments.
Our wide-ranging experience can be grouped into two main areas that contribute to Government Reform and Economic Growth. Government Reform includes Justice, Security and Peace-building, Public Administration Reform, Public Financial Management, Revenue Reform and Education Reform. Economic Growth includes services in Extractive Industries Governance, Infrastructure, Climate Change and Private Sector Development.
We are headquartered in London, with offices in Nairobi, Delhi and Sydney, along with major project offices in many developing countries worldwide. Our projects are funded by a wide range of donor organisations, including the UK Government’s Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Swedish and Danish Government’s development agencies Sida and Danida, the European Commission and the Asian Development Bank. In addition, we also work directly for host governments.
Over more than 20 years, Adam Smith International has implemented some of the most complex solutions in many of the world’s most challenging environments. We apply professional standards, technical know-how and cultural sensitivity to every context. We’re proven to bring the best minds together and are known for turning policies into action. Our work is award-winning, such as the most recent 2011/12 British Expertise Development Project of the Year, Major Project of the Year, Consultancy Project of the Year and Young Consultant of the Year.
The responsibilities of the Project Finance Officer are detailed below:
- Project financial management
- Working closely with the project team, facilitate the setup project level finance and procurement policies where required.
- Ensure all project supplier invoice and payment documentation are complete, traceable, and well stored.
- Ensure all project level supplier invoicing and payments processes are in line corporate requirements.
- Follow up with HQ, and other ASI offices to ensure all project documentation are available (including project supplier invoices, timesheets, payments and client invoices).
- Ensure all workshop budget are properly prepared, submitted and accounted for.
- Process project advances and ensure that all liquidated as per policy.
- Project management support
- Support the PM in preparation of invoices to the client including preparation of the documentation file supporting each invoice, including timesheets, flight tickets, receipts etc.
- Prepare monthly project level budget performance reports including budget vs actual report, budget burn rate report, and forecast performance report.
- Support the PM in preparation of the project forecasts.
- Grants disbursement support
- Grants reconciliation and reporting
- Support grants contracting processes
- Maintaining accounting ledgers by verifying and posting account transactions in ERP.
- Ledger reconciliations (GL, AP, AR)
- Perform timely bank and cash reconciliations
- Ensure all relevant tax filings are done on time.
- Asset Management
- Effectively establish and update the country corporate assets and inventory register including asset movement schedule.
- Coordinating periodic asset tagging and verification
- Supporting procurement processes, ensuring all asset purchases comply with the procurement policy.
- Audit Support
- Coordinate corporate external audit and ensure all audits are carried out smoothly.
- Supporting projects audits, retrieval of supporting documentation, etc
- Maintaining historical records by filing documents.
- Proper filing of physical documentation
- Filing on Sharepoint sites for both project and corporate
- Ensure country level financial administration risks is reduced or well managed.
- Timely financial reporting to regional, and HQ level.
- Timely financial reporting to clients
- Effective and responsive internal controls
- Prompt response to project queries
- The Project Finance Officer will report to the Regional Finance Manager. He/She will report to the project manager on project level financial management and issues.
- Qualifications and requirements for this role include:
- A graduate degree in Accounting (equivalent) with a minimum of 4 years accounting/auditing experience, including project financial management. CPA/Accounting qualification is an added advantage.
- Working knowledge of accounting systems such as QuickBooks, SAGE etc.
- Excellent computer skills, especially Ms Excel.
- Ability to manage time effectively between varying tasks.
- Ability to teach and capacity build grantees.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- Keen attention to detail and able to work in a structured and methodical manner.
- Team player with a willingness to undertake responsibilities outside of ToR
Contract Duration: One year fixed-term contract with a possibility of extension.
If you meet the above criteria please send a covering letter and your CV (maximum of 3 pages total) to Africa.Recruitment@adamsmithinternational.com referencing ‘Project Finance Officer” in the title of your email, by 31st December 2020.