Location: Sydney or Canberra preferred, with travel across the region
Service areas(s): Asia Pacific
Role type: Maximum Term 1-2 years
Looking to grow your career in international development? Join one of the world’s leading international development firms and work across Asia and the Pacific.
Adam Smith International is currently seeking dynamic and energetic professionals looking to take the next step in their careers in international development. You will combine the technical and management skills of a professional consultant and the drive of an emerging market entrepreneur, with a healthy appetite for challenge and a desire to travel throughout Asia and the Pacific. We are interested in people with a wide range of backgrounds that match our services, including in the following areas: infrastructure, governance and inclusive markets.
About the role
As a Program Manager, you will oversee the day to day running of a program/s within our Asia Pacific portfolio. You will also play a fundamental role within the team, leading on and supporting the development of proposals in the pursuit of future programs. A Program Manager can expect considerable travel to our programs in the region or to new countries, leading on business development initiatives and meeting with potential partners.
There is no one typical day in this role, however you will be tasked with the following:
- Managing and supporting our programs across Asia and the Pacific;
- Supporting our in-country program teams and advisers to ensure our work is continuously delivered to the highest standard;
- Contributing to new business development initiatives for a range of clients, including the Australian and New Zealand Governments;
- Building and managing strong and effective working relationships with key clients, partners and associates; and
- Contributing to the team’s thought leadership, communications, research and knowledge management efforts to support the growth of Adam Smith International across Asia Pacific.
You will have the following qualifications, experience and skills:
- Qualifications in a relevant field, with post graduate qualifications preferable;
- Proven program management experience, ideally in the development sector, government agency or a relevant field;
- Demonstrated experience managing a budget, finances and forecasting, and familiarity with Microsoft products an advantage;
- Proven ability to build effective relationships with stakeholders from a wide range of professional and cultural backgrounds, and to work effectively in politically sensitive and challenging environments;
- A desire to travel across the region and an enthusiasm for tackling unfamiliar and challenging problems;
- A pragmatic and resourceful attitude and the confidence to take difficult decisions;
- Outstanding English written and oral communication skills, including report writing and presenting information;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team work;
- Strong attention to detail.
Adam Smith International is a global advisory company that works locally to transform lives by making economies stronger, societies more stable, and governments more effective. Our clients are governments, international organisations, companies, and foundations. They come to us to develop strategies and to design, deliver and evaluate programs that address the big challenges facing the world.
For nearly three decades in almost 100 countries, we have been working in partnership with governments, the private sector and civil society in countries at all stages of development. Our core team of staff and technical experts, in offices around the world, ensures the quality of delivery and high ethical standards that we and our clients require. We bring together a global network of specialist experts, who contribute their experience and know-how, where and when it is needed.
Adam Smith International is owned and operated by its employees. We are committed to corporate integrity and a triple bottom line of social, environmental and financial performance. That is the way we work, and that commitment was formally recognized when we became a certified B Corp. The certification indicates we balance profit and purpose through the highest standards of transparency and accountability as well as social and environmental performance. We are also a participant in the UN Global Compact, which certifies our respect for standards of human rights, labor, environment, and anti-corruption. By sharing our knowledge and experience, we help to improve learning in our industry, as well as the positive impact we can have on people’s lives. We are strategic, operational, and on a mission to take on global challenges.
Adam Smith International (Australia) Pty Ltd was established in 2012 as the company’s Asia Pacific regional office, responsible for leading business development and project delivery across the region. Headquartered in Sydney, we are responsible for the management of our portfolio of projects funded by the Australian and New Zealand governments and other donors. We are currently operating across 15 Asia Pacific countries. Our team is engaged in business development, project management and consulting activities across a range of sectors including economic management, private sector development, governance, public financial management, agriculture and agribusiness, human development, extractive industry regulations and infrastructure development.
What We Offer You
We offer you a dynamic career and the opportunity to work on a highly successful portfolio of award-winning international programs. Attracting the right people to work with us, and supporting their performance, development, and well-being is key to Adam Smith International’s success and to our impact in the countries where we work. Our culture champions diversity and inclusion and we live by our values. We offer a unique benefits package and support for flexibility.
Adam Smith International is committed to continually improve the diversity of our workforce through the attraction, retention and development of a diverse range of talented people. We want people to be comfortable bringing their whole self to work and recognise that inclusion brings further opportunities for innovation and creativity.
Heard Enough? Ready to Apply?
We are keen to hear from you.* Please submit a CV (no more than three pages) and a one-page covering note telling us why we should hire you in an email with the subject “Program Manager Application” to Kate Coulman at firstname.lastname@example.org by 17 November 2021.
Only applications with a covering letter will be considered. A full position description will be provided to shortlisted candidates.
*You must have the permanent right to work in Australia to be considered for this position.
Adam Smith International values a diverse workforce and encourages applications from candidates of all background, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.