Position: Manager, Inclusive Markets
Adam Smith International, a global advisory company that works locally to transform lives by making economies stronger, societies more stable, and governments more effective. We work on behalf of governments, foundations and companies that share our ambition to take on the big challenges facing the world.
Our core team of managers and technical experts, in offices around the world, ensures the quality of delivery and high ethical standards that we and our clients require. We bring together a global network of specialist experts, who contribute their experience and know-how, where and when it is needed.
ASI is owned and operated by its employees, and we are all dedicated to making a meaningful difference in complex, challenging situations. We are committed to corporate integrity and a triple bottom line of social, environmental and financial performance.
About the Inclusive Markets team
Adam Smith International has been one of the leading implementers of innovative private sector development (PSD) programming geared towards enabling inclusive economic growth. The Inclusive Markets team specialises in the design and delivery of high quality programmes focused on areas including trade and investment facilitation, business environment reform and employment and skills development. We deliver impactful, results-driven programmes across Africa, South Asia, Asia Pacific, the Middle East and the Americas for clients including the FCDO, European Commission and various other multilateral development banks and bilateral donors.
About the role
The Manager will be based in London with the requirement for occasional travel to the field (20%). The role will include a significant new business development role, as well as project management and contributing to thought leadership in the inclusive economic growth.
Specific responsibilities will include:
Business Development (70%): Delivering, and managing teams to deliver, inputs to proposals for new business, including:
- Scoping new business opportunities, and providing analysis, synthesis, and recommendations on if and how Adam Smith International should pursue the opportunity;
- Authoring and reviewing written proposals for new business, such as programme strategies, delivery methodologies, and implementation workplans;
- Devising and presenting commercial proposals for new business, such as programme budgets and costed workplans; and
- Identifying and building relationships with consultants and partner organisations, including negotiating agreements.
- Managing key stakeholders and building and developing client relationships
Project Management (20%):
- Manage resources to ensure effective delivery against targets;
- Lead project reporting and support results measurement.
- Effective and proactive client engagement and risk tracking and mitigation.
Thought Leadership and Corporate Initiatives (10%):
- Supporting the development of ASI’s offer in this technical space and contribute to internal and external thought leadership;
- Contribute to ASI’s internal and external corporate initiatives.
A postgraduate degree in economics, political science, international development, business management, or other relevant field from an internationally recognised university;
- A minimum of two years of work experience in a consultancy or development-focussed organisation, ideally working directly on private sector development;
- Demonstrate a track record of successfully delivering complex multi-year advisory programmes and/or business development efforts;
- Demonstrated experience of using initiative, client-orientation, risk taking, and working in complex and time-pressured contexts;
- Enthusiasm, flexibility and a strong attention to detail;
- Excellent communication, inter-personal, and team-working skills;
- Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project and Visio;
- Outstanding written and spoken English. An additional language (French, Spanish, Arabic) would be an major asset;
- Be willing to travel;
- You must be eligible to work in the UK.
What We Offer You
As an employee-owned company, our people are at the heart of our strategy and our decisions. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, a dynamic and friendly team environment, the opportunity to support a highly successful portfolio of programmes, and support to develop your skills and progress in your career.
The diversity of our workforce makes ASI a great place to work, more creative and resourceful, and underpins strong partnerships. We keep a sharp focus on diversity and inclusion, including through our Equality Action Plan and our Diversity and Inclusion Committee, and through leadership from our Executive Team and oversight by our Board.
We recognise the importance of your life outside of work. We are proud to support flexible working arrangements, and commit to make a success of flexible working arrangements wherever possible. We’ve built a culture to reflect our values, full of likeminded professionals who are smart, passionate and great at what they do.
Ready to Apply?
We would love to hear from you. Please submit a CV (no more than 2 pages) and short cover letter with the subject line ‘Manager – Inclusive Markets’ to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis. Please also clearly confirm your eligibility to work in the UK.
Deadline for Applications will be 27 November.
Shortlisted applicants only will be contacted. Thank you for your consideration.
ASI is committed to continually improving the diversity of our workforce through the attraction, retention and development of a diverse range of talented people. We want people to be comfortable bringing their whole self to work and recognise that inclusion brings further opportunities for innovation and creativity.
#We’re happy to talk flexible working