Vacancy type Professional Development Scheme – 12 months
Location London (with possibly extensive travel in Africa and Asia).
Service areas(s) Governance & Stability
This is an exciting time to join Adam Smith International and become part of a team of bright, dynamic and committed people, determined to transform lives for the better.
Company-wide, both our pipeline of business opportunities and portfolio of programmes are growing. We want to recruit high calibre candidates to support the continued growth and delivery of our global portfolio against the quality and high ethical standards that we and our clients require.
About the Governance and Stability team
The Governance & Stability team provides high quality advice globally to governments seeking to enhance governance of the public sector through centre of government reform, civil service reform, anti-corruption, serious and organised crime, sub-national governance, external accountability and transparency, and public financial management. We work with government institutions to implement public sector governance projects in some of the world’s most dynamic and challenging countries including Afghanistan, Palestine, Somalia, Syria, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
Our most recent projects include the Strengthening Action Against Corruption (STAAC, Ghana); Strengthening Uganda’s Anti-corruption Responsiveness – Technical Advisory Facility (SUGAR-TAF, Uganda); Addressing the drivers of Serious and Organised Crime pilot (SOC Pilot, Ghana); Beneficial Ownership Transparency Scoping Study; and designing the International Centre for Excellence on Illicit Financial Flows (ICE).
About the role
The Professional Development Scheme is a 12 – month programme that offers you the opportunity to perform different project management and business development responsibilities within the Governance and Stability team. The scheme is designed to both challenge and support you and give you the knowledge and skills to kick-start your career in international development. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with, support and learn from more experienced Managers in the team and support them in the delivery of technical programmes.
- Support the management of the successful delivery of projects to terms of reference, time, quality, cost and donor and Government satisfaction. This will include assistance in the following areas of project management:
- Quality assurance
- Risks & issues
- Client relationships
- Maintain awareness of and conversance with political economy and key topics in priority countries
- Build strong working relationships with the project team
- Manage the full recruitment cycle for bids (identification, approach, negotiation, agreement, write-up of qualifications).
- Perform market mapping and partner identification research, and present this to bid manager.
- Contribute written inputs to bid.
- Understand the ethical considerations for conducting business development, and always conduct oneself in a compliant manner.
- Gain an understanding of the company’s capabilities and experience.
- Seek to further technical knowledge in at least one sector.
- Forge own networks in the business.
- Provide concise check-ins/updates to bid managers, including to flag any risks.
- Analyse ToRs and extrapolate key points.
- Develop an understanding of commercial considerations for business development and project implementation.
- Support initiatives to communicate project successes to a wider audience.
- Develop skills in technical advisory areas identified with line manager and agree approach to developing the same further.
- Where feasible, support delivery of technical deliverables.
- Contribute to the growth and development of the Governance & Stability team through:
- Marketing: Contributing content and articles to external channels
- Knowledge management: Ensure all knowledge is shared via agreed team systems and processes
- Personal development: Take ownership to grow own capability, experience and expertise
Our work requires people with a ‘can do’ attitude tempered with insight and pragmatism. The successful candidates will not just be evaluated on their technical knowledge and skills, but also their alignment with our values and culture.
You should have demonstrated ability to think creatively about complex problems; build productive relationships with people from a wide range of professional and cultural backgrounds and work effectively in politically sensitive and challenging environments.
You should be energetic, positive, a team player and committed to achieving lasting positive change. It is this combination that ensures we deliver real societal impact and measurable results with high integrity.
Adam Smith International seeks the following skills and experience:
- A post-graduate degree in international development, international relations, political science or other relevant fields from an internationally recognised university;
- Strong, demonstrated interest in governance, politics, justice, or conflict resolution in developing countries;
- Demonstrated experience of initiative, planning and organisation skills, results-focus and working in complex and time-pressured contexts;
- Outstanding English written and oral communication skills with additional languages;
- Excellent inter-personal skills and team-work;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Enthusiasm and flexibility along with a willingness to travel at short notice and work in developing countries; and
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- You must be eligible to work in UK.
What We Offer You
In addition to a competitive compensation package and excellent benefits, we offer you a friendly and supportive team environment and the opportunity to work on a highly successful portfolio of programmes. As a certified B Corp, we care about the wellbeing and growth of our people and are committed to supporting your personal development and actively facilitating opportunities to build skills and knowledge in your areas of interest.
We’ve built a culture to reflect our values, full of likeminded professionals who are smart, passionate and great at what they do.
Ready to Apply?
Please submit a CV (no more than 3 pages) and short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of “Assistant Manager, Governance and Stability.
Deadline for Applications will be midnight, Sunday February 14th 2021.
Only shortlisted applicants only will be contacted.
We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.