Position: Senior Engineering Adviser (SEA)
Type: Long Term until June 30, 2022
ARF Classification: C4
Location: Port Vila, Vanuatu with regular travel to provinces
Reports to: Team Leader
The Vanuatu Roads for Development Program Phase 2 (R4D2) is funded by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to support the Public Works Department (PWD) under the Ministry of Infrastructure and Public Utilities (MIPU). R4D2 commenced in June 2019 and will run to the end of June 2022, with an option to extend by two years, subject to DFAT approval. Adam Smith International (ASI) is the managing contractor for this program.
The SEA will lead the coordination of physical works support to enhance delivery of PWD road maintenance and improvement works and support development of the Public Works Development’s (PWD) capacity as a network manager. This will include, but not be limited to, the following key tasks:
- Coordinate and oversee Regional Operations Engineers (ROEs) to support PWD capacity development and provide quality control of works within the six PWD Divisional offices, with a particular focus to develop capacity that aligns with PWD’s Transition to Road Network Manager Strategy and Plan;
- Develop a demand-driven response mechanism that ensures Divisional offices receive support following requests for technical assistance, delivered through the ROE team;
- Oversee the Procurement Adviser in the strengthening of PWD procurement processes, including the development of innovative models of procurement, community level procurement and competitive small works procurement;
- Ensure Gender Equity and Social Inclusion (GESI) considerations are addressed in works planning and delivery;
- Work closely with PWD to prepare high quality annual road operations work plans (and medium-term plans, when multi-year funding available) and support PWD to monitor execution and expenditure;
- Ensure workplans are linked to the Rural Road Access Framework (RRAF) and make best use of the Inventory Management System/Road Asset Management System;
- Review PWD standards and guidance to ensure these reflect best engineering practice, including the PWD Roads and Bridges Design Guides, Standards and Specifications and ensure climate change and disaster resilience, environment and safety considerations are addressed;
- Provide leadership and quality assurance in the development of a pipeline of road project designs and cost estimation and support the development of design processes that embed this capability within PWD;
- Support PWD to improve operational efficiencies including rates of production, unit costs, equipment utilisation rates, on-time production;
- Support the introduction of innovative construction techniques, equipment and materials to enhance the efficiency, cost-effectiveness and sustainability of PWD works;
- Support the trial of new technologies to enhance construction supervision and monitoring of road conditions;
- Support the development of a comprehensive, fit-for-purpose, digitilised Roads Asset Management System (RAMS);
- Coordinate and provide technical training and ongoing on-the-job mentoring for PWD Divisional Managers, technical staff, and operators, private contractors, communities, and Provincial government staff; and
- Contribute to key outputs required under the R4D2 Program, including during the transition, inception and implementation phases.
- Reports to, works with, and receives strategic direction from the Team Leader;
- Reports to Australian High Commission Team when necessary and in coordination with the Team Leader; and
- Inputs to relevant program and M&E reporting requirements
- Relevant qualifications in engineering, ideally with a focus on transport infrastructure or roads;
- Demonstrated senior experience in leading and delivering roads operations and road maintenance/improvement projects, with at least 10 years’ experience undertaking these projects internationally, ideally in the Pacific or similar settings;
- Proven successful experience leading and managing teams of senior-level specialists to deliver quality outputs;
- Extensive experience with the development of road assessment and designs from the pre-feasibility study stage through to being ready to tender for construction;
- Extensive experience in roads costing estimates, programming / planning, procurement and contracting;
- Successful experience working within and developing the capacity of government agencies and staff in road network management, through informal and formal modalities, ideally in the Pacific;
- Proven capability in trialing innovations in construction techniques, equipment, materials and technology to improve construction outcomes and efficiency;
- In-depth knowledge of and experience working in the Pacific or similar remote, tropical settings;
- Understanding of and commitment to Australian aid safeguard issues, specifically child protection, gender mainstreaming and disability inclusion;
- Detailed understanding of safety and environmental protections on roads programs;
- Excellent stakeholder engagement, communication, and relationship management skills;
- Knowledge and experience working with the institutional structures and key stakeholders in the transport sector.
Adam Smith International values a diverse workforce and encourages applications from candidates of all background, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander engineers as well as Ni-van and regional engineers.
Please submit your application before 21st of February 11:50pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) to: Recruitment@r4d2.com. Please use the following title: Application Senior Engineering Adviser R4D2.
Applications should include two pages cover letter addressing the selection criteria, a CV of no more than four pages and two professional referees.
Applications submitted by a third party will not be considered.