Position: Roads Operations Engineer (ROE)
Type: Long Term until June 30, 2022
ARF Classification: C3
Location: Luganville, Santo, Vanuatu
Reports to: Senior Engineering Adviser
The Vanuatu Roads for Development Program Phase 2 (R4D2) is funded by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to support the Public Works Department (PWD) under the Ministry of Infrastructure and Public Utilities (MIPU). R4D2 commenced in June 2019 and will run to the end of June 2022, with an option to extend by two years, subject to DFAT approval. Adam Smith International (ASI) is the managing contractor for this program.
The responsibility of the Roads Operations Engineer (ROE) is to provide technical assistance, guidance and mentoring to the Public Works Department (PWD) Divisional offices to support capacity building of staff and the Department towards the role of a network manager.
This will include, but not be limited to, the following key tasks:
- Provide guidance and feedback to PWD Divisional offices as required including; cost estimation, tender and contract documentation preparation, works supervision, certification of completed works and general contract administration;
- Provide support for quality control of works to build the capacity of PWD Divisional staff to undertake this role;
- Ensure Gender Equity and Social Inclusion (GESI) considerations are addressed in works planning and implementation;
- Support PWD Divisional offices to monitor the execution of Annual and or Long Term Workplans;
- Ensure works adhere to PWD Roads and Bridges Design Guides, Standards and Specifications and ensure climate change and disaster resilience, environment and safety considerations are addressed in all works undertaken;
- Support the introduction of innovative construction techniques, equipment and materials to enhance the efficiency, cost-effectiveness and sustainability of PWD works including the trailing of new technologies to enhance construction supervision and monitoring;
- Provide technical training and ongoing on-the-job mentoring for PWD Divisional Managers, technical staff, operators, private contractors, communities and Provincial government staff.
- Reports to, works with and receives strategic direction from the Senior Engineering Adviser and Team Leader; and
- Reports to Australian High Commission Team when necessary and in coordination with the Team Leader.
- Relevant qualifications in civil engineering, ideally with a focus on maintenance of road transport infrastructure;
- Demonstrated experience in delivering road maintenance/improvement projects, with at least 10 years’ experience undertaking these projects;
- Demonstrated experience working within public sector agencies in the Pacific or similar settings;
- Demonstrated experience in developing capacity of government agencies and staff, ideally in the Pacific or similar setting;
- Demonstrated experience in contract project management and administration, procurement and plant utilisation;
- Proven capability in trialing innovations in construction techniques, equipment, materials and technology to improve construction outcomes;
- Knowledge of and experience working in the Pacific or similar remote, tropical settings;
- Understanding of and commitment to Australian aid safeguard issues, specifically child protection, gender mainstreaming and disability inclusion;
- Detailed understanding of safety and environmental protections on road programs;
- Excellent stakeholder engagement, communication and relationship management skills.
The Road Operations Engineer (ROE) will initially be based in Luganville, Santo however, the position may be rotated with other ROE positions over the life of the program.
Adam Smith International values a diverse workforce and encourages applications from candidates of all background, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander engineers as well as Ni-van and regional engineers.
Please submit your application before 21st of February 2021 11:50pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) to: Recruitment@r4d2.com. Please use the following title: Application Roads Operations Engineer R4D2.
Applications should include two pages cover letter addressing the selection criteria, a CV of no more than four pages and two professional referees.
Applications submitted by a third party will not be considered.