Position Title: Procurement Adviser
ARF Classification: C3
Position Location: R4D2 Head Office Port Vila Vanuatu, travel to Provinces as required
Reports to: Senior Engineering Adviser
Duration: Long term until 30 June 2022.
Location: Port Vila, Vanuatu
The responsibility of the Procurement Adviser is to provide oversight, technical assistance, guidance and mentoring to the Public Works Department (PWD) Divisional offices to support capacity building of staff and the Department as a Network Manager. This will include, but not be limited to, the following key tasks:
- Provide procurement advice and support to six PWD Divisional offices as required, including the review and development of PWD’s existing procurement processes and guidelines;
- Review and provide technical inputs on tender documentation, invitations to tender and tender notices. Review and develop a structured format including templates for pre-tender meetings, tender evaluation meetings, pre-mobilisation meetings and Contractor Performance Evaluations;
- Ensure procurement processes within PWD apply safeguarding principles including Health and Safety, Environmental Management, Child Protection, Gender Equality and Social Inclusion and climate resilience principles;
- Introduce innovations in procurement which enhance community participation and benefit, contractor performance and procurement efficiencies;
- Mentor PWD staff to monitor and verify procurement of goods, services and works to ensure the application of and adherence to both PWD and Government of Vanuatu procurement standards and Australia’s Commonwealth Procurement Guidelines;
- Provide technical training and ongoing on-the-job mentoring for PWD Divisional Managers, technical staff, private contractors, communities and Provincial government staff;
- Conform with Program and PWD Codes of Conduct and Fraud Detection and Management.
Reports to, works with, and receives strategic direction from the Senior Engineering Adviser.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Relevant qualifications for procurement, ideally with a focus on transport infrastructure or roads;
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in conducting public and private sector procurement activities;
- Demonstrated experience supporting procurement on infrastructure/roads programs, ideally in the Pacific or similar settings;
- Demonstrated experience working within public sector agencies in the Pacific or similar settings;
- Demonstrated experience in developing procurement capacity of government agencies and staff, ideally in the Pacific or similar setting;
- Demonstrated commitment and capacity to undertake activities in a participative, culturally sensitive and consultative manner that enables counterparts to actively participate and develop understanding and ownership;
- Understanding of and commitment to Australian aid safeguard issues, specifically child protection, gender mainstreaming and disability inclusion;
- Detailed understanding of safety and environmental protection on roads programs.
Key Performance Indicators:
- MIPU-PWD prepares and executes annual road work plans aimed at maximising Vanuatu’s Rural Access Index (RAI);
- High levels of contractor and community compliance with PWD’s Procurement Guidelines;
- Increased self-reliance of PWD to successfully deliver works within relevant timeframes.
Adam Smith International values a diverse workforce and encourages applications from candidates of all background, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander advisers as well as Ni-van and regional advisers.
Please submit your application before 10 of May 11:50pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) to: Recruitment (r4d2) Recruitment@r4d2.com. Please use the following title: Application Procurement Adviser.
Applications should include two pages cover letter addressing the job specifications and required qualifications and experience, a CV of no more than four pages and two professional referees.
APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY A THIRD PARTY WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.