Duration: Until 30 June 2022
Program: Strongim Bisnis
Location: Honiara, Solomon Islands with provincial travel
Direct Reporting: Strongim Bisnis Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Strongim Bisnis is the first pure MSD program delivered in Solomon Islands and MSD is a concept that is still somewhat new. The program is therefore required to continue investing in upskilling/educating stakeholders, including importantly the program’s own business adviser staff. Additionally, the recent expansion of the program from activity in three focus value chains to seven, has seen the need for additional technical resources to assist the BPD in managing partnerships and representing the program in stakeholder engagement.
About the role
The MSD Adviser will share responsibility with the BPD for the technical design and implementation of MSD strategies for Strongim Bisnis, including identifying and developing strong partnerships with businesses, relevant associations and Solomon Islands Government (SIG) to deliver inclusive and resilient growth. The program has recently updated its market systems analyses (MSAs) for cocoa, coconut products and tourism and researched new MSAs for horticulture, financial services, timber and waste management. These and program learning from Phase One will guide the Adviser’s initial work program and approach.
The position is based in Honiara although business activities are being implemented nationally, focusing on stimulating pro-poor growth and maximising impact to scale up long term production and identify new opportunities. The Adviser will support engagement with all stakeholders in the target market systems, from smallholder producers within local communities to service providers, manufacturers, exporters and investors for sustainable prosperity.
The Adviser will also work closely the Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) Director and the WEE and Youth Specialist to ensure the development of inclusive MSD analyses and strategies. They will also work closely with the Monitoring and Results Measurement (MRM) Manager to ensure that interventions are effectively monitored, implemented and managed using tailored and adaptive approaches, and consistently learn from new information and the changing context over the life of the program. This role drives innovation and flexibility and contributes new thinking across pre-existing as well as new markets.
The Adviser will directly manage a team of Business Advisers and will also develop and facilitate key high-profile partnerships to drive systemic change in the selected sectors towards greater productivity and inclusivity, as well as higher-value and increased incomes for poor households in Solomon Islands.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Initially, the Adviser will work with the CEO and BPD to assume full responsibility for an existing portfolio of activities and partners within at least three of the program’s target value chains. Within an appropriate period of time, the Adviser will be expected to contribute to Strongim Bisnis growth by negotiating, signing and managing new activities
- Design, in collaboration with stakeholders, activities with a strong MSD rationale including plans for monitoring and reporting results
- Build relationships with relevant stakeholders and conduct regular meetings seeking their input and buy-in for the proposed initiatives
- Develop business cases, budgets and partnership agreements, and oversee the implementation of partnerships and procurement following guidelines set out in the Strongim Bisnis Operations and Flexible Fund Manuals
- Assist business advisors to prepare business cases and other documentation required by the Assessment Panel
- Participate in workshops and meetings with partners and support with business advisors to lead in discussions
- Support business advisors to develop strategic responses to constraints and opportunities identified by partners
- Build on existing MSAs and program learning to inform clear, relevant and achievable strategies for inclusive MSD in selected sectors
- Applying the MSD approach, identify key constraints and innovative opportunities for business development, diversification and growth
- Manage partnership negotiations, business case development, partnership agreements development, drafting of ToRs, and other relevant documentation leading to signed partnerships
- Incorporate WEE and youth and disability inclusive objectives as part of intervention designs
- Identify and manage key partner relationships for program implementation with a focus on businesses and associations in target value chains
- Help represent Strongim Bisnis’ technical approach to donors, SIG, Chamber of Commerce, Industry associations and working groups, as well as other stakeholders
- Provide technical advice/inputs to research and analytical processes to feed into the development of the Annual Plan. Assist with the preparation of Annual Reports
- Work with the CEO, BPD and ASI Team to support budget planning, operations and to meet DFAT reporting requirements.
- Support the application of MRM frameworks and data collection and analyses to prove, and improve, program results
- Work with and provide technical support to the Senior Communications Manager to develop promotional and educative materials to promote the program and events, inform or support partners and other stakeholders
- Provide constructive feedback on the business advisor’s performance
- Manage Short-term advisers and subcontractors’ inputs for certain activities as agreed with CEO
Required Qualifications & Experience
- Applied knowledge and strong understanding and experience of the MSD approach for pro-poor economic development
- At least ten years’ relevant experience designing and implementing systemic interventions and building strong partnerships with the private sector
- Demonstrated experience working collegially with various stakeholders across markets, including in remote and rural areas, the private sector, public sector and alongside other complementary developmental activities
- Experience and quantifiable successes working in thin markets with various impediments to economic growth, ideally in South Pacific island countries
- Proven capabilities in undertaking MSD analyses including application of participatory research and planning processes; extensive experience in leading assessments contributing to overall socio-economic analysis of communities and development of tailored interventions
- Demonstrated commitment to, and experience in implementing, the principles of gender equality and youth and disability inclusion
- Experience in capacity building, including training and on the job mentoring of staff
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills
- A post-graduate degree in business, economics, agriculture, development studies or other relevant field
- Willingness to locate to Honiara as soon as practicable after appointment. Remote work may be required for a short period to begin while arrangements are put in place for travel and relocation.
Deliverables and Key Performance Indicators
- A portfolio of program activities, including planned expenditure budgets will be agreed after a reasonable settling in period. Delivering on agreed partnership outcomes and meeting agreed budgets are the position’s key deliverables.
- Delivery of results as outlined in Annual Plans
- Delivery of results as agreed in the MRM Plan
- Adaptive management and strong performance management of the business adviser team
- Strong DFAT annual performance assessments
Ready to apply?
Applicants should submit a CV (no more than 4 pages) and a Covering Letter with subject headline the : ‘Market Systems Development (MSD) Adviser’.
Please submit your application before 11:59 Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) on Sunday 11 April 2021. to: Rami.Alkhatib@adamsmithinternational.com
Applications submitted by a third part will not be considered.