Position: Market Systems Development Director – Liberia
Duration: Up to 5 years
Location: Monrovia, Liberia
Adam Smith International is seeking candidates for the role of Market Systems Development Director to support the implementation of an anticipated $30 million USAID-funded county sanitation program. The proposed program aims to sustainably eliminate open defecation in five counties in Liberia. The program will address this ambitious target through three result areas including governance, behavior change, and market system strengthening.
The Market Systems Development Director will work in close collaboration with our team in Monrovia to manage private-sector interventions and relationships with our key partners in the region (businesses, donors, government agencies, and institutes).
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Ensure implementation of inclusive market systems development interventions, resulting in concrete and specific outcomes;
- Provide written inputs and quality control of all technical reports and plans;
- As appropriate, identify opportunities to engage partners and create growth, and propose these to the Senior Management Team;
- Effectively manage partner relations including providing support when appropriate for the development of innovative intervention strategies;
- Identify and liaise with relevant partners and stakeholders to support the replication of the results and good practices generated by our pilot projects. Wherever possible, connect actors within our network to find mutual opportunity and benefit;
- Build relationships with counterparts in the consortium and provide support and coaching on the market systems development approach;
- Build a high-performing team by rewarding excellence and building a culture conducive to performance;
- Manage team members, including highly specialized technical staff, to deliver against the annual workplan;
- Liaise with ASI colleagues to coordinate the inputs of gender and inclusion, monitoring and evaluation and other advisory inputs to provide cross-cutting support;
- Ensure that lessons learned are disseminated and applied
Timing and level of effort
The role will start no earlier than December 2021 and last for up to 5 years. The role is full time, and is based in Monrovia.
- Sufficient managerial as well as technical capacity, expertise, and experience to effectively manage and support the overall project and its staff;
- Extensive experience working in developing countries, preferably in West Africa;
- Strong inclusive leadership and management skills, and the ability to lead and manage a diverse consortium for success;
- Strong interpersonal skills and written and oral communication skills;
- Knowledge and experience with building sanitation markets
Ready to Apply?
Interested applicants should send their CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, November 12, 2021. Please reference “Market Systems Development Director” in the email subject line. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.