International Expert on Transparency & Accountability (T&A) in the Occupied Palestinian Territories
About the role
ASI is supporting HMG in delivering a programme of security sector reform in Palestine. We are recruiting an international adviser to support enhanced security sector transparency and accountability. The role would be based in Ramallah, with approximately 220 days a year of work, on 6 week on/2 week off rotation. Candidates should be ready to start in July 2020.
- In close coordination with the Programme Manager, DFID Security Sector Adviser, AMAN (the local branch of Transparency International) T&A lead and on behalf of the Senior Responsible Officer, deliver against the following potential objectives and tasks:
Deliver capacity building trainings on complaints to relevant units of the Ministry of Interior (MoI) and PASF Agencies, civil society organizations and media.
- Conduct a series of training events for all MoI and PASS agency complaint unit staff, focusing on the implementation of the Manual of Standard Operating Procedures; on the legal framework; and on international best practices on the right to information.
- Identify cross-cutting areas between complaints units, legal departments, human rights units and the media and public relation teams in all MoI and PASS agencies.
- Design and conduct joint workshops between all complaints units to strengthen coordination. Following delivery of joint workshops, develop guidelines to enshrine coordination in polic
- Develop a methodology to assess the impact of complaints management on the relationship with the public and train staff in MoI and PASS agency complaints units.
- Develop a user friendly and accessible citizen’s guide on how to lodge complaints at the particular PASS agencies and on the procedures to request information from them.
- Conduct an awareness-raising campaign on the right to information in relation.
- Carry out workshops between CSOs and PASF agencies to identify the main gaps in relation to right to information at complaints level.
- Reflect the main findings and conclusions of the workshop in a recommendation paper.
- Hold meetings with the public in six governorates to raise awareness among influential actors.
- Produce video and radio public service announcements.
- Significant experience (5-10 years) in leading transparency and accountability programming or components
- Experience in carrying out scoping/design of transparency and accountability programming in the security sector
- Experience in institutional development as well as working with civil society
- Client-focused attitude
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Experience of working with the PASF or in Palestine
- Experience working on security sector reform
- Experience with flexible or adaptive management approaches to institutional development
- Arabic language skills
- Experience in MENA
- Experience working on UK funded programmes
Interested candidates should submit an up-to-date CV and brief motivation statement to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 21, 2020 with the subject line “International Transparency and Accountability Expert ”.