Position Title: Engineering Adviser – Projects
Long Term / Short Term: Long Term until June 30, 2022
ARF Classification: C3
Position Location: Port Vila, Vanuatu
Reports to: Senior Engineering Adviser
The Vanuatu Roads for Development Program Phase 2 (R4D2) is funded by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to support the Public Works Department (PWD) under the Ministry of Infrastructure and Public Utilities (MIPU). R4D2 commenced in June 2019 and will run to the end of June 2022, with an option to extend by two years, subject to DFAT approval. Adam Smith International (ASI) is the managing contractor for this program.
The responsibility of the Engineering Adviser – Projects is to provide technical assistance, guidance and mentoring to the Public Works Department (PWD) to support capacity building of staff and the Department towards the role of a network manager, with a particular focus on the PWD Projects Unit.
This will include, but not be limited to, the following key tasks:
- Provide guidance and feedback to PWD Projects Unit as required including project identification, design, cost estimation, tender and contract documentation preparation, contract administration and project management.
- Provide support for management of projects to build capacity of PWD Projects Unit and Divisional staff to undertake this role.
- Support PWD Projects Unit to prepare and monitor the execution of Annual and/or Long Term Workplans, and major Projects.
- Support PWD to source and secure funding for major projects.
- Ensure Social Safeguards considerations are addressed in works planning and implementation.
- Ensure works adhere to PWD Roads and Bridges Design Guides, Standards and Specifications and ensure climate change and disaster resilience, environment and safety considerations are addressed in all works undertaken;
- Support the introduction of innovative construction techniques, equipment and materials to enhance the efficiency, cost-effectiveness and sustainability of PWD works including the trailing of new technologies to enhance construction supervision and monitoring; and
- Provide technical training and ongoing on-the-job mentoring for PWD engineers including road design and climate disaster and resilience.
- Main Counterpart – PWD Project Manager
- Secondary Counterparts – PWD Project Engineers, Divisional Engineers and Divisional Managers
- Reports to, works with and receives strategic direction from the Senior Engineering Adviser and Team Leader; and
- Reports to Australian High Commission Team when necessary and in coordination with the Team Leader.
- Relevant qualifications in civil engineering, ideally with a focus on maintenance, rehabilitation, and new construction of road transport infrastructure.
- Demonstrated experience in the identification, pre-construction, and delivery of road improvement projects, with at least 10 years’ experience undertaking these projects.
- Demonstrated experience working within public sector agencies in the Pacific or similar settings.
- Demonstrated experience in developing capacity of government agencies and staff, ideally in the Pacific or similar setting.
- Demonstrated experience in contract project management and administration, project development and procurement.
- Proven capability in trailing innovations in construction techniques, equipment, materials, and technology to improve construction outcomes.
- Knowledge of and experience working in the Pacific or similar remote, tropical settings.
- Understanding of and commitment to Australian aid safeguard issues, specifically child protection, gender mainstreaming and disability inclusion.
- Detailed understanding of safety and environmental protections on road programs.
- Excellent stakeholder engagement, communication, and relationship management skills.
Adam Smith International values a diverse workforce and encourages applications from candidates of all background, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander engineers as well as Ni-van and regional engineers.
Please submit your application before 30 of July 11:50pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) to: Recruitment (r4d2) Recruitment@r4d2.com. Please use the following title: Application Engineering Adviser R4D2.
Applications should include two pages cover letter addressing the selection criteria, a CV of no more than four pages and two professional referees.
APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY A THIRD PARTY WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.