Position: Deputy Chief of Party
Duration: Up to 5 years
Location: Monrovia, Liberia
ASI is seeking candidates for the role of Deputy Chief of Party to provide leadership and management of a United States Agency for International Development (USAID) funded activity to support improved protected area management through the development of livelihoods in Liberia.
ASI is seeking a highly driven and capable individual to play a key role in the technical and operational management of a new, USAID-funded Conservation Works programme. The Deputy Chief of Party will be central in overseeing operations and team management, and in driving decision making based on programme results as well as knowledge management. Impact assessment and adaptive management systems play a crucial role in the overall approach to this position, serving as a core part of project planning and informed management of interventions. In addition, the Deputy Chief of Party is responsible for overseeing the measurement of high-level impact, assessing systemic change, and guiding the team in understanding the immediate steps which lead to impact.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Providing written inputs and quality control of all technical reports and plans
- Supporting Chief of Party in developing annual workplans that cover both livelihoods and conservation works;
- Building a high-performing team by rewarding excellence, management of complexity and teamwork and building a culture conducive to performance
- Managing team members, including highly specialized technical staff, to deliver against the annual workplan
- Building a positive working environment for all team members and ensuring any issues are resolved
- Providing leadership on ethics and behaviours that ASI expects from all consultants
- Delegate responsibility and ensure capacity across all staff to deliver both technical and operational matters
- Liaise with ASI colleagues to coordinate the inputs of gender and inclusion, monitoring and evaluation and other advisory inputs to provide cross-cutting support
- Provide oversight of operational processes to ensure optimal efficiency in use of resources, including;
- Logistics planning;
- Resource allocation;
- Management of programme fleet.
- Support identification of research priorities which are of highest benefit to the programme and its stakeholders
- Quality assure research deliverables from team members and consultants
- Other duties as required.
Timing and level of effort
The role will start no earlier than June 2021 and last for up to 5 years. The role is full time.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in a relevant subject (agriculture, conservation etc.)
- At least 10 years’ experience in a leadership role
- Experience living and work in West Africa strongly preferred
- Experience in leadership or deputy leadership roles on similar programs
- Experience in training, capacity-building of team members
- Fluency in English
Ready to Apply?
Interested applicants should send their CV and cover letter to email@example.com no later than Friday, May 7, 2021. Please reference “Deputy Chief of Party” in the email subject line. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.