Position: Consultants – Economic Growth, Agriculture, Climate, and Public Investment
FCDO Uganda – Climate Smart Jobs
Adam Smith International is currently preparing for the tender for UK FCDO-funded Climate Smart Jobs Programme and is seeking to build a roster of specialists for short and long-term assignments in Uganda. This Programme is expected to go to tender in Q4 2021 and will run for a duration of five years.
This programme will implement interventions that best support GoU’s ambitions for economic growth and prosperity.
The programme will help GoU deliver on the agro-industrialisation ambitions of its third National Development Plan (NDPIII) to accelerate employment-intensive growth in Uganda. It will build and develop markets for agriculture and trade, increase incomes, improve resilience to climate change and empower women, closing the gap with neighbouring countries (quality, price) while ensuring that growth is resilient to the threats posed by climate change. The context and systems within which the programme will operate are complex as they relate to domestic, regional and international markets affected by global shocks, including COVID 19, climate change and changing political economy over a multi-year timeframe.
The whole programme will be used to demonstrate sustainable private sector led approaches to creating jobs and climate resilience that we will use to persuade the Government of Uganda that they should enable. The three outcomes of the programme are:
1. Grow climate smart agribusinesses to create jobs, through
- providing grants and technical assistance to selected businesses;
- incentivising financial institutions to invest in high-potential SMEs aligned with CSJ’s strategic .
- Providing long-term risk capital for larger firms
2. Support climate smart land management and services, through
- providing technical assistance and small grants / inputs to communities and agribusinesses
- Establishing the Uganda Innovation Climate Fund
3. Remove barriers that stop businesses getting deals done, through:
- Providing technical assistance, primarily to firms, to enable them to overcome the barriers.
Required Skills & Experience
ASI is recruiting national and international specialists to design and deliver these interventions. We are looking for consultants in the following technical areas:
- Private Sector Development
- Business Environment
- Public Investment Management
- Climate Change
- Agriculture / Agribusiness / Agro-processing
- Government/Institutional Capacity Building
In addition, the following experience is strongly preferred:
- Experience and knowledge of Uganda’s private sector and business environment
- A track record on donor-funded private sector development programmes, especially FCDO/DFID
- Knowledge of international and regional best-practice in agriculture
- Demonstrable experience engaging government counterparts to influence policy, and unlock barriers to investment and business
- Excellent written and presentation capabilities in English
Interested candidates should submit an up-to-date CV (max 3 pages), brief motivation statement and your expected consultancy fee rate (GBP per day) to Uganda@adamsmithinternational.com by October 20th 2021 with the subject line “Uganda Climate Smart Jobs – Consultant”. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.