Duration: Up to 5 years
Position: Chief Party
Location: Monrovia, Liberia
Adam Smith International is a global advisory company that works locally to transform lives by making economies stronger, societies more stable, and governments more effective. Our clients are governments, international organisations, companies, and foundations. They come to us to develop strategies and to design, deliver and evaluate programmes that address the big challenges facing the world. As a company with experience of delivering lasting results, including in fragile states and where there is conflict, we are prepared to manage a high level of risk to achieve our purpose.
Adam Smith International is seeking candidates for the role of Chief of Party for an upcoming USAID-funded agribusiness development activity.
The purpose of the project is to strengthen the agribusiness ecosystem and identify and implement innovative, market-driven, cost-effective solutions to increase the income of vulnerable households and communities in targeted regions of Liberia. The project will enhance selected value chains, strengthen related market systems and foster inclusive, resilient growth and improved nutrition outcomes.
Work is expected to begin in the summer of 2022. The position is contingent upon the contract being awarded to Adam Smith International. This role will be based in Monrovia.
Drawing on his/her expertise and previous experience in the area, the Chief of Party will be responsible for the following:
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Provide overall strategic and technical leadership of the Programme across all interventions, including development of effective delivery models, results framework, and work;
- Ensuring technical quality across Programme activities with overall responsibility for ensuring achievement of the Programme
- Provide effective leadership of the delivery team, including workstream leads
- Provide efficient, timely, and effective implementation of activities and oversee effective delivery, with support from the programme management team
- Establish and lead a strong working relationships with USAID counterparts and other relevant counterparts (for example: the Minister of Agriculture and other Government of Liberia stakeholders)
- Establish and lead strong working relationships with various private sector entities and businesses
Timing and level of effort
The role will start no earlier than summer of 2022 and last for up to 5 years. The role is full time, and will be based in Monrovia, Liberia.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in a relevant subject (agriculture, conservation etc.)
- At least 10 years’ experience in a leadership role
- Experience successfully leading the delivery of complex, large-scale private sector development programmes, preferrable USAID-funded
- Strong understanding of private sector development, agribusiness, and trade, especially across West African countries. An awareness of climate-smart agricultural practices strongly preferred
- Capacity and influence to convene stakeholders and shape national policy; track record of working with government stakeholders to identify and remove barriers to investment
- Experience living and work in West Africa strongly preferred
- Experience in leadership or deputy leadership roles on similar programs
- Fluency in English
Ready to Apply?
Interested applicants should send their CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 31 January, 2022. Please reference “Chief of Party, Liberia” in the email subject line. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Liberian candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.