Job Title: Research Lead
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Type: Fixed-Term (12 months with possible extension)
The Somalia Stability Fund (SSF) is a multi-donor fund working towards a peaceful, secure, and stable Somalia. It offers Somali stakeholders a source of multi-year funding that can respond to local needs and opportunities. The Stability Fund aims to contribute to enhancing stability in Somalia through the following programmatic outputs:
- Fault-lines for political conflict (FGS-FMS, inter & intra state) are identified and appropriately addressed;
- Enhanced popular participation in governance, particularly for women and excluded communities;
- Increased government visibility and community engagement;
- Reduced community vulnerability to conflict.
The Research Lead is responsible for leading the shaping, commissioning and quality assurance of SSF Research with the aim to inform and shape SSF’s approach to state level democratisation, District Council Formation and Reconciliation in Somalia.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
As Research Lead, your role and responsibilities are as follows:
- Engage closely with the SSF Directorate to understand the research priorities for SSF
- Advise SSF directorate on the type and nature of SSF research required
- Prepare the Terms of Reference for Research pieces for SSF consultants and partners;
- Work closely with the SSF Procurement team to lead procurement panels for SSF research;
- Undertake small discreet pieces of research;
- Quality assure the research inputs of SSF partners and consultants;
- Present SSF research to donors, local stakeholders and partners
- Identify forums and manage SSF preparation for sharing SSF research
- Prepare and write executive summaries of SSF research for sharing with SSF donors
- Prepare clear workplans for SSF Research in line with the wider SSF workplan
- Work closely and collaborate with the SSF Communications and Monitoring and Evaluation Officers to support and advise on their work
- Collaborate closely with SSF FMS Leads to inform and shape research and to adapt research to meet the specific locations and stakeholders with whom SSF is working.
- Support production of Quarterly Reports and annual reports alongside Delivery and Performance Unit Lead, Project Manager & Team Leader
- Support the Delivery and Performance Unit with SSF learning events and other SSF workshops and events
- Other tasks as assigned by the Team Leader
The Research Lead will report to the Team Leader. The Research Lead will work closely with the Delivery and Performance Lead.
Qualification and Experience
- Degree in political science, research, social science, business administration, economics or related field;
- Minimum 7 years’ of relevant professional experience of delivering, managing and overseeing research;
- Experience in fragile states;
- Substantive knowledge and prior experience working on donor funded programmes and projects;
- Essential IT skills inclusive of MS Office and demonstrated experience working with spreadsheets e.g. MS Excel; and
- Excellent interpersonal skills, especially dealing with people from multi-cultural backgrounds.
If you meet the above criteria please send a covering letter and your CV (maximum of 3 pages total) to email@example.com referencing ‘Research Lead – monitoring, evaluation and learning specialist-Nairobi’ in the title of your email.
Deadline for applications will be November 11, 2020 – Midnight EAT
Due to the large volume of applications we receive only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to disqualification.
ASI is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continually improve the diversity of our workforce through the attraction, retention and development of a diverse range of talented people. We want people to be comfortable bringing their whole self to work and recognise that inclusion brings further opportunities for innovation and creativity.