Position: Team Leader
Programme: Green Urban Growth (GUG) in Somalia
Location: Somalia and Nairobi, exact split to be determined
Start Date: April/May 2024 (tentative start date)
Contract: to be determined (likely fixed term, 80-100% FTE)
Somalia is one of the world’s poorest and most fragile states and one of the most challenging environments in which FCDO works. The GUG programme proposes to support Somali cities harness green urban growth opportunities that contribute to economic growth, poverty reduction, and stability, benefitting Somalia’s internally displaced (IDPs) and the urban poor. GUG will be delivered through three components: (1) Improved urban planning, land use control and decision making; (2) Pipeline of ‘bankable’ projects and facilitating investments in green urban infrastructure; and (3) Mobilising finance for investments. The anticipated overall value of the programme is £25 million for a period of seven years (2024-2031).
About the Role:
ASI is seeking a Team Leader for the delivery of the GUG programme. The role of the Team Leader will be to manage GUG and provide an accountable point of contact for FCDO. The Team Leader will be responsible for stakeholder engagement, quality assurance, and approval of all deliverables. The Team Leader will be sharing their time between Nairobi, Mogadishu and Hargeisa which GUG will operate. Travel to other cities in Somalia is also expected based on programme needs. This is an exciting role, with a technically strong, enthusiastic and well-recognised team that will be working on some of the most interesting cities and infrastructure challenges in Somalia.
Key responsibilities of the Team Leader:
The Team Leader will be responsible for:
- Providing overall management and operational delivery of the GUG programme;
- Providing technical control with oversight of the delivery of programme outputs;
- Oversee, with ultimate responsibility for the performance of the Programme Management Unit, consultants and subcontractors;
- Working closely with the Programme Manager to ensure that effective and efficient systems are in place to plan, implement and monitor the programme;
- Day-to-day relationship management with the FCDO Senior Responsible Owner/Programme Responsible Owner
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with Government stakeholders in Somalia (FGS, FMS, and city-level), development and humanitarian partners, the private sector, and other relevant stakeholders;
- Ensure that the programme effectively disseminates knowledge, lessons learned, and best practices;
- Promote a positive working culture across the team; one that instils the highest ethical and moral values, and supports open dialogue.
Key competencies / job requirements for the Team Leader:
The following section outlines the minimum criteria for the candidate:
- Masters or PhD degree with a minimum of years work experience in a relevant field;
- Experience in directing and/or managing large scale programmes; controlling project spend, work plan and managing diverse and international project teams;
- Experience working in Somalia and similar FCAS contexts;
- Experience and recognised expertise relevant to urban planning, infrastructure and green/climate finance;
- Ability to cultivate strong relationships with senior government and non-government stakeholders;
- Experience of managing and implementing HMG programmes desirable;
- Politically aware and familiar with FCDO’s development, diplomatic and international trade priorities desirable;
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving abilities;
- Excellent report writing, presentation, and communication skills (verbal and written);
- Excellent “people” and team building skills.
How to apply:
Interested candidates can share their CV along with a short cover letter to email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.