Positions: Stabilisation Advisers (Civil-Military Cooperation) – LSF
Assignment Locations: Chad/Senegal/Niger/Cameroon Chad/ Senegal/Niger/Cameroon
Duration: July /August 2022 (Tentative) to March 2023 ( with possibility of extension)
Actual Working Time: 11 months Full-time with possible rotation cycles depending on the role
Background of the Assignment
The Lake Chad Support Framework (LSF), funded by the UK Government’s Conflict, Stability and Security Fund (CSSF) and implemented by Adam Smith International, seeks to recruit a roster of advisers with expertise in stabilisation for long term deployments across Chad/Senegal/Niger/Cameroon based on programme need. The LSF sits within the broader UK Lake Chad Basin Programme and supports the following outputs:
Output 2: Defence cooperation: training and capacity building for regional military partners in the following areas: Land-Air integration, Formed unit training, C-IED, Human security, Strategic Communications, Intelligence, and Defence Transformation.
Output 4: Improved Civ-Mil coordination and human rights compliance through protection of civilians training and seconded Stabilisation advisers to the Regional Stabilisation Facility, LCBC and MNJTF.
Please note the responsibilities outlined below are indicative only; specific terms of reference will be shared with interested candidates
The roles will be seconded to UNDP country offices/national windows, Regional Secretariat/Multi National Joint Task Force (MNJTF to support civil-military cooperation, effective information sharing and coordination relationships with Senior Military Officers within MNJTF and other National Military Forces, Military Liaison Officers (MLO), and personnel in UN agencies, including any relevant civilian mission staff, and civil-military coordination personnel of appropriate NGOs.
- A minimum of 8 years working on international peace and security issues, ideally with direct experience of stabilisation programme design and implementation
- Experience of working in conflict environments, ideally in support of local government or security providers in meeting the needs of vulnerable populations
- Experience of leading planning and the technical development of peace and security interventions, ideally at a sub-national level
- Working as part of a multilateral approach to peace and security, in close coordination with leading donor nations
- Direct experience of civil-military relations and effective ways to encourage security actors to cooperate with each other and with local government and civil society
- Must be fluent in English and French
- Experience in the Lake Chad Basin region or the Sahel
- Background working with the UK Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO)/ British Army
If you meet the above criteria please send your CV only (maximum of 3 pages total) to Safia.Mohamed@adamsmithinternational.com referencing the position (s) you are applying for in the title of your email. Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.