Position: Police Advisor
Location: Ramallah, Palestine
Contract Duration: One year minimum from 10 Dec 21, with potential break clause on 31 March 22.
In preparation for potential employment, please see below likely tasks, experience and knowledge requirements for a Police Adviser, for employment with Adam Smith International for a UK government funded programme based in Ramallah, Palestine. The multi-year programme focusses on the development of the Palestinian Authority Security Forces (PASF) in order to enhance PASF capability and credibility.
The role is particularly focused on community policing initiatives, and enhancing citizen-state relationships. We are looking in particular for candidates with experience both in front-line policing and in international consulting. In addition, experience with establishing or operating 999-type emergency services would be a plus.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The role is primarily concerned with providing subject-matter expertise and management skills in order to effect organisational change. The adviser will:
- Work in close coordination with the programme manager and team to advise, mentor and develop Palestinian Authority Police in order to contribute to a more capable, accountable, sustainable and inclusive Palestinian Authority Security Services (PASS).
- Engage with Palestinian Authority Police leadership to drive forward positive organisational behaviours.
- Mentor and support of community policing initiatives.
- Assess and scope effectiveness of current development programme, suggesting and driving improvement where required.
- Design, communicate and implement specific citizen-focussed interventions, using key performance indicators (KPIs) and societal metrics to continually measure effectiveness of the programme.
- Engage with HMG and other donors in support of mandated policing projects and initiatives.
- Lead for policing subject matter expertise input as required throughout the operating environment.
- Engage internationally (as required) to cross-transfer experiences and best-practice to the Palestinian Authority Police.
- Provide support on related work-strands as directed by HMG senior responsible officer.
- Experience in community policing
- Experience of leading or advising on a governance or accountability component on a donor-funded programme, preferably DFID or FCDO.
- Previous police service
- Experience of delivering institutional reform in a government ministry.
- Experience working in a fragile or conflict-affected state
- Citizen-state support and international engagement.
- Experience in Palestine or MENA
- Arabic language skills
- Experience of establishing or operating a 999-type emergency service hotline.
Successful applicants will be expected to work a 6 weeks on / 2 weeks off cycle, although COVID-19 situation requires ongoing flexibility.
Heard Enough? Ready to Apply?
Please submit a CV (no more than 2 pages) and short cover letter with the subject headline “Police Advisor” to email@example.com
Shortlisted applicants only will be contacted.
Deadline for Applications will be midnight Tuesday 9th November 2021