Duration: Up to 3 years
Postion: National Customs Adviser – Somalia
Adam Smith International is a global advisory company that works locally to transform lives by making economies stronger, societies more stable, and governments more effective. Our clients are governments, international organisations, companies, and foundations. They come to us to develop strategies and to design, deliver and evaluate programmes that address the big challenges facing the world. As a company with experience of delivering lasting results, including in fragile states and where there is conflict, we are prepared to manage a high level of risk to achieve our purpose.
Adam Smith International is seeking candidates for the role of National Customs Adviser for an upcoming UK Government-funded Public Resource Management development project in Somalia.
The purpose of the project is to support stability in Somalia by deepening fiscal federalism by:
- Strengthening domestic revenue mobilisation (DRM), in particular customs policy and administration at major ports;
- Further enhancing public financial management (PFM) [the ability to manage and spend revenue] and strengthening the civil service, with a focus on women in government, in the Federal Member States;
- Supporting macroeconomic and fiscal policy.
Work is expected to begin in the spring (April-May) 2022 and the role will be based in Somalia (Mogadishu and/or FMS capitals). The position is contingent upon the contract being awarded to Adam Smith International.
Drawing on his/her expertise and previous experience in the area, the National Customs Adviser will be responsible for the following:
- Provide customs and revenue technical assistance and support to designated counterparts in the continuous development and maintenance of transparent and accountable customs and revenue systems and practices
- Roll out and further embed the customs automated (IT) system, the national tariff and customs reform roadmap in ports and airports
- Implement regulations relating to the amended Customs Act (2020) and the Customs Broker regulations (pending approval)
- Provide training and mentoring to front line customs staff on administration
- Implement other infrastructure to improve functioning of customs procedures
- Ensuring technical quality across programme activities with responsibility for ensuring achievement of relevant activities in the programme workplan
- Establish and lead strong working relationships with various government counterparts
- Timely and clear reporting to customs and overall team leadership, verbally in team meetings and in writing as part of weekly, monthly and quarterly reports.
Timing and level of effort
The role will start no earlier than April 2022 and last for up to 3 years. The role is full time, and will be based in Somalia.
Skills & Qualifications
- At least 3 years’ experience working in customs and revenue administration
- Strong understanding of public financial management in Somalia, including fiscal federalism and inter-governmental fiscal transfers
- Ability to live and work as an embedded adviser in Somali institutions, including in Mogadishu and in Federal Member State cities such as Kismayo and Bosaso.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to think in a structured way in new circumstances with limited supervision
- Ability to research using primary and secondary evidence, visit field locations, engage with a variety of clients (strategic/operational) and produce high-quality written work
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and ability to build a strong, trusting and productive working relationship with both clients and colleagues
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali essential
Ready to Apply?
Interested applicants should send their CV and cover letter to email@example.com no later than 5th December, 2021. Please reference “National Customs Adviser- Somalia” in the email subject line. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Somali national or diaspora candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.